The internet of things (IOT) meet ups in London's Tech City have been oversubscribed within 25 minutes of opening for registrations and they have over 3,000 followers.
For me, the take aways from tonight's presentations were:
1. Integrating legacy solutions could take a while and even longer for replacements.
2. Global forecasts for IOT revenues are still huge, yet IOT business cases are struggling to attract investments.
3. IBM are making it easer for budding developers to prototype ideas using BlueMix on their IOT QuickStart cloud service and Node-RED non-coding programming.
4. A data-centric approach is more likely to lead to longer term solutions and more robust business cases.
5. The long tail of IOT opportunities requires lower entry barriers and open interoperable platforms - no walled gardens!
Thanks to Duncan Purves for initiating and organizing the Thames Valley IOT Meetup.